Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mo's Challenge # 95



Don't Card Me!

This week the challenge at Mo's is "Anything But a Card". That's a theme that always throws me for some reason! I put my thinking cap on and remembered making some Christmas candles last year with my daughter. They're pretty quick and simple to do, so that's what I decided to go with.


This one uses Mo's "Lemon Girl."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


This one uses Mo's "Sending Peace."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the first one I made, using Mo's "Flower Girl."
The only problem I had was not remembering that you have to use much darker colors than you'd normally use in order to get the effect you want. This turned out much paler than I'd have liked, but with this image, that's not such  a bad thing.






I also made a rings of flowers to fancy the candles up a bit. That took me back to my days as a florist, when I spent my days making wedding bouquets and corsages.  

Image: All from Mo's Digital Pencil

Tools: Copics, Tissue paper, Waxed paper, Heat Gun, Wire, Florist Tape, Nellie Snellen embossing leaf punch set, Pillar candle
Embellishments: Flowers from WOC, Ribbon
 
Instructions

To make one, you adhere tissue paper to a piece of CS. I used Tacky Tape along the edges to secure the tissue. Then I printed off the image, colored it  and cut closely around the  image.
You have to color it darker than you would normally in order to get the right  color on the finished project.
The next step is to place the image where you want it on the candle, then cut a piece of waxed paper big enough to cover the image completely and wrap around to the back of the candle with enough extra to allow you to  hold it tightly against the candle, smoothing out any wrinkles as best you can.  The last step is to hold a heat gun about 6 to 8 inches from the image and carefully pass it back and forth over the image until you notice it getting shiny. When the entire image is shiny, remove the wax paper and check to see if the tissue paper is completely melted into the candle. If there are spots that haven't , replace the wax paper and heat again. Be careful not to use too much heat, or the wax will run and ruin your work.
 
 
Well, this challenge wasn't as difficult as I'd thought it would be, so I know you can do it, too!
Make something wonderful and share it with us in Mo's Challenge!

Thanks for looking!
Elaine

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful! you are so talented. Might give it a go and see if it really is as easy as you make it sound.

Pat said...

Oh Elaine!! You ROCK, darlin! Thanks so much for the tutorial...I think I'm going to try making one of these! What a fun gift!! Yours are just stunning! I love each and every one!! And the flower rings you made are just perfect!!! Hugs. Pat

Carla S. said...

Love these candles, Elaine! The images and embellishments are so beautiful! I love making candles - I think I'll give your technique a try!

Debbie said...

OMG!!! Do I love this... I can't wait to give this a try. I am so glad that you did this... and hope that I can make a candle as pretty as you... they are gorgeous...and would make beautiful presents... You know I am going to give this a try.... THanks so much for explaining how to do it...knowing me, I am sure to melt a few with trial and error...

Hugs
Debbie

Debbie Pamment said...

These are GORGEOUS!!! And now I know the secrest as to why your flowers arrangements are always so beautiful!!
xXx

Gwendolyn said...

Wow this is so beautiful! Love the idea!

Hugs Gwendolyn

Marita said...

Wow, i love these candles♥. They are beatiful♥.

Hugs Marita♫♫