Friday, March 4, 2011

Clippings by Rick St. Dennis


Tissue Box Cover


The challenge for Rick's team was to create 3D objects using images from his "Clippings" sets.
The image I've used here is part of that series of little flower people.
Besides the iris, the various sets include roses, daisies, orchids, and many other flowers.
I merged two iris here, but you could achieve the same effect by printing two images separately and layering them on top of each other after coloring and cutting them out.


The back side looks the same as the front, and the other two sides have embossed scalloped ovals decorated with paper flowers. I colored the purple ones with a Copic marker to coordinate with the irises. I didn't have any in my stash that were the right color.


I think it would have looked cute to have different flower people on all four sides, too! In fact, I just might have to make another one and do that!

I came up with the pattern for this myself. I just measured the box of tissue, cut a 12" x 12" piece of card stock into two 5 1/2" strips (the height of the box) ,  and scored them at 4 3/8" and 8 3/4" (for the sides) . That left shorter 3 1/4" pieces on the end of each strip which were used to adhere the two strips together to fit around the box. I used 1/8" two-sided tape to secure all the pieces.

I made a cover by cutting a square of CS just 1/8" bigger than the top of the box plus two inches to allow for a 1" lip all around. I scored all sides at 1".  I cut out the proper sized oval on the top using my Cuttlebug and oval Nestabilities die. The lid was too wide to fit through the machine, so I folded one of the sides UP so that it would fit, but wouldn't get cut. I snipped along one fold at each corner, and folded the tabs in and taped them to make finish lid. The bottom of the cover was left open.
Then it was just a matter of decorating it with ribbon, paper borders, flowers, lace and, of course, my images.
Our little granddaughter has already claimed it for herself, and, of course, I said yes!

Head on over to Rick's Etsy shop and check out all his fun images. I think you'll find a lot that you'll like!  Drop by his blog to see what the other Design Team members have created!


The Wearin' O' the Green!


This is another of Rick's images. It comes in a sheet of spring designs that include an Easter bunny, a couple of little girls in Easter garb, and a cute Valentine image, as well as sentiments.

The big shamrock was made using three punched hearts which were run through the Cuttlebug in an embossing folder, then gilded along the edges, The small shamrocks were made with tiny punched hearts.

Image: Leprechaun from Rick St. Dennis

Tools: Copics, Cuttlebug with Nesties and Embossing folders, Heart punches, Mounting tape, Gold EP, VersaMark pad, Heat gun

Papers: SU! Garden Green, Neenah smooth white, Basic Grey DP

Embellishments: Gold pearl cabochons, Grosgrain ribbon


Check out what my fellow team members have created on Rick's Blog!

 Glad you stopped by to visit!
Elaine

No comments: