Sunday, November 28, 2010

Mo's Challenge # 59



My Head's in a Swirl!



I'm so late getting this post up that it's almost time for the next one! Thanksgiving Day just seemed to consume me this year. We had fifteen  people here on Wednesday night to have pizza and make our traditional 'apple turkeys'. This is something that started when our 36 year old son made them at school when he was in second grade. They are made out of a Red Delicious apple, cranberries, raisins, and marshmallows, all held together with toothpicks. They're really cute and some are used to decorate the table on the holiday. The kids have fun trying to outdo each other with their masterpieces!

We had a crowd of fourteen on the day itself. It was a wonderful time filled with laughter and too much food.  We had two turkeys, one roasted and one fried, all the usual trimmings, and I made seven homemade pies to top off the meal!

The challenge this week was to use swirls or flourishes on our projects
I don't do 'fancy' well, so this was a real challenge for me.
I always seem to go a bit overboard, and things never look quite right to me.

After I had photographed this card, I removed the star charm, and wished that I hadn't put a bow on it. I think it's a bit 'busy' for my taste, although it has grown on me. I think things always look better when some time has passed, and you can look at it more objectively.

This is one of my favorites of all of Mo's Christmas images. It's called "Boughs for the Wreath". I cut the oval using the "out-of-the-box" technique so that the little guy would be the focus. I love the way he's looking back over his shoulder, don't you?

Images: "Bringing Home the Boughs" From Mo's Digital Pencil, Digital Sentiment from Ladybug and Friends.

Tools: Copic Markers, Prismacolor pencil, White gel pen, Quickcutz Swirl die, Cuttlebug with Nestabilities, SU! Oval punch.

Papers:  SU! Soft Sage and Riding Hood Red, Neenah smooth white, Metallic gold CS, Basic Grey DP.

Embellishments: Grosgrain ribbon, Natural cotton lace, Star charm,  Frosted Lace Stickles.

I hope you'll join us  week and use a bit of flourish or swirl on your project!




Here's another Christmas card using Mo's "Not Even a Mouse" .  Isn't this the sweetest image?
 I've had it for over a year, and this is the first time I've gotten around to coloring it.

I used the Martha Stewart Punch Around the Page Snowflake punches under the image panel. The sizes they recommend just didn't work for this card, so I started out with the 5" square, punched it out,  then cut and over-lapped it, covering the joint with satin ribbon. I love using the little punched out snowflakes as embellishments.

I also love making these poinsettias with the embossing leaf punch set from Nellie Snellen. They are quick and inexpensive to make and really add a lot to a card. I just punch a tiny circle and glue the leaves down on it, over-lapping some, then glue some green leaves in back. I finish them off by either punching a small hole and threading the stems of paper stamens through to the back, or using a small punched flower and pearl or gold cabochon for the centers, as I did with these.

Thanks for visiting!
Elaine

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You've made two gorgeous cards!! Beautiful coloring. I also love the image of the first card.

Fabella said...

What a great card, love how he get out of the circle, gorgeous idea!

And for the second card, yes I really love this image, it is soooo cutie!

Iulia said...

Hi, Elaine!
I've decided entering the challenge at Mo's Digital right after seeing your lovely card. It really made me think of my childhood's Christmas. I remembered I bought that image a while ago and used it only once. Oh, how could I forget about it? It is lovely and your cards are so beautifully colored. I like the technique you used with the boy in focus and the swirls round the ovals. Very ingenious.
Hugs, iulia

Sheila said...

Elaine this is gorgeous not to busy at all, I love it.
Sounds like you had a wonderful thanks giving, all be it a busy one
Hugs Sheila xx