Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mo's Challenge #41



Paper-Piecing


 For this week's challenge, I'd love to see you try your hand at paper-piecing. Don't be afraid...it's really not that difficult!


Alice in Blue

 


"Alice in Pencil" is probably one of my favorite images. Okay...one of my many favorites of Mo's! I can't seem to stop myself from using the "Out of the Box" technique on her dress...it enhances the 'wind-blown' effect so nicely. Her plain apron makes her a great choice for paper-piecing, too. I like to use up my scraps when I do this technique rather than printing on a full sheet of DP. I do this by first printing my images as usual. Without changing my settings, I then take a piece of computer paper, place it over the printed image and, taping my scrap piece onto the computer paper over the part of the image to be pieced,  run this computer paper through the printer.
I color my image first,  then carefully cut out the desired parts from the DP and adhere them on the colored image with a thin layer of glue. I like the effect of highlighting the DP with a slightly darker shade of Copic marker. This gives the finished product more depth.
I really love this card! Blue and yellow always make me happy, and I think I'm getting closer to achieving the look of shiny satin ribbon, something I've been working towards.


Image: "Alice in Pencil" from Mo's Digital Pencil
Tools: Copics, Scissors, Glue dots, Cuttlebug with Swiss Dots embossing folder, Nellie Snellen embossing leaf punch set
Papers: SU! Bashful  Blue, Barely Banana (ret.), Certainly Celery, PTI white, Basic Grey DP
Embellishments: Flowers from Wild Orchid Crafts, Pearl cabochons, Grosgrain ribbon


Ode to Joy



I love this graceful image, "Tuesday's Child" from Mo's Children of the Week series. This is another one that's perfect for the piecing technique. I used up a lot of scraps on this card, but the pile still seems to grow whenever I turn my back on it!

Images: "Tuesday's Child from Mo's Digital Pencil, Warm Words sentiment from SU!
Tools: Copics, SU! Oval punches, Quickcutz Swirl die, Nellie Snellen Embossing punch leaf set, MS border punch, Multiliner pen, White gel pen, Glue dots
Papers: SU! Rose Romance (ret.), Mauve Mist (ret.), Barely Banana (ret.), Wild Wasabi, PTI white, Basic Grey Urban Prairie DP, Unknown polka dot DP
Embellishments, Pearl cabochons, Prima roses


Off to School



This little cutie, Prairie Girl  comes with both a floral and a plain dress. Mo did the plain version specifically for use with the paper-piecing technique.
The image was printed once on white card stock and again on the lightweight plaid paper. I colored the parts of the image that were not going to be covered with the plaid, then cut out all the pieces of the dress and hat using tiny sharp scissors. The pieces were then glued on to the colored image, taking care to line them up carefully. I used a Copic marker slightly darker than the plaid to shade parts of the dress and hat, then softened the edges  using the blending marker.

You'll find many images in Mo's store that will work well with this technique.
I hope you'll  give it a try!

Image: Plain "Prairie Girl" from Mo's Digital Pencil

Card stock: SU! Rich Razzleberry, Wild Wasabi, Barely Banana (ret.), PTI white

Patterned paper: Basic Grey Kioshi, Digital plaid paper

Tools: Copics, Prismacolor pencils, Nellie Snellen embossing punches (Flowers), Slice with Vintage Findings design card, Martha Stewart Border and Butterfly punches, Corner rounder punch, Scissors, Glue, Mounting tape
 Embellishments: Gold cabochons, Mini brads, Grosgrain ribbons, Gold wire

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Elaine

3 comments:

Dawn B. said...

Oh my gosh you were busy.. These are all beautiful.. Great job Elaine. Thanks for hosting this week.

Cathy said...

Beautiful cards Elaine, Wonderful challenges you have had for us, I have really enjoyed them. I really love your little Prairie girl, such a sweet image and colors.

Bernice said...

You are such a genius, Elaine. Thanks for the clear instructions on this image, I'm going to try paper-piecing. I know you don't do craft full-time, but it looks like it. Thanks,again. Great challenges this month.

Bernice